Friday, April 15, 2016

Thurs April 14, 2016 - "My Pink Chemo"

From Jan:


Greetings from IMC.  I was admitted bright and early this morning, and was taken down for my first chemo procedure, which was to remove some spinal fluid and replace it with chemo. It's a preventive procedure so that the cancer can't grow there. It hurt, not going to lie.  Oh, and the guy who did this procedure was the same guy who installed my port Monday. His name is Joe and I figure since he's now seen my bare bum and my right ta-ta, we should be on a first name basis.
Then around 1 pm they hooked me up to the big nasty chemotherapy cocktail, which is a pretty pink color- so that's somewhat deceiving.  Pink things should be sweet, smell good and make my hair shine or something, right?  It will drip continually for 4 days.
There are anti nausea drugs and other things mixed in there and I am somewhat disappointed that they can't add an anti aging serum or something equally positive to the mix so I'd be getting a bonus to set off the eventual hair loss.

I feel well, no pain or nausea. I've actually been bored to death and glad for the visits from Kaitlyn, my mother-in-law, my sister Jill and by Bishop Sheneman.  I've been on my best behavior to win the nurses over to my side and convince them to limit the number of times they wake me up all night to get my vital signs. I think I have Paulo, the night assistant, on my side.

I'm off my liquid only diet and got real food for dinner (if you can call hospital food "food"). If you love me feel free to sneak me in something good that's lactose free.

If I understand the plan, I'll be released late Monday. I'll have 3 days I have to stay home after that because my body will still be expelling the chemo. They tell me I'll probably feel nauseated and extremely tired those days. My daughter Jessa will be flying up for those days. My doctor will tell me if I can come back to work on Friday if my blood counts and tests are good, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers.  I feel very loved and supported. Keep positive thoughts and energy for me. I'm going to beat this, I promise.

All my love-Jan

1 comment:

  1. Jan you crack me up..It is good you can see the humor through the rough patches!! Keep up the good spirits! My love and thoughts are with you. Michele

    ReplyDelete